Hello! Just a quick before and after for you. I found this dresser at a local thrift store, and it was in pretty rough shape. Someone had painted its nooks and crannies with red paint, which was chipping off. Also, the top was in really rough shape.
This is the first part of an on-going series of how to paint furniture.
Back when I was learning how to paint furniture, I went from zero to information overload while trying to research the topic. There are so many tips, tutorials and techniques on the Internet and in books about how to paint furniture that it will make your head spin. (more…)
Using repurposed furniture in your kitchen is unexpected, and can add instant character to the room. I’ve collected five ideas for different repurposing projects you can use for inspiration in your own kitchen.
I have really been needing a sideboard for my dining room for awhile now, and when I found this dresser for 15 dollars on Craigslist I knew it was perfect. It came to me in really rough shape, and smelled like it had been in someone’s basement for the past ten years. I threw some baking soda in all the drawers and let it sit for a week or so before I started its’ makeover.
A client brought me this desk that she found at a local thrift store for $35. It’s an awesome writing desk, with plenty of surface space. She wanted it painted a soft black with distressing.
I’ve been working on this piece on and off for awhile. I took advantage of a Western New York 50 degree winter day, and I dragged it outside to finish waxing and sealing it.
Here is the BEFORE:
In the next couple of weeks I have big plans to organize three closets full of clothes. A quick search online for inspiring ideas lead me to custom closet plans & prices that, quite frankly, I am not willing to pay. I wanted to find simple tricks that will not cost a lot of money.
A more thorough search lead me to the following ideas:
Every time I sleep in a hotel room I get an amazing nights sleep, and I am sure most of you can say the same. There is something calming about being at a nice hotel, but there is not a reason why we can’t have the same luxury feel in our own bedroom.
Your bedroom should be a getaway – a place where you can escape from the world, relax and unwind from the day. There are five simple ways you can make your bedroom feel like a luxury hotel room without breaking the bank.
1) Floor to Ceiling Window Treatments: You would be amazed what a difference a few inches makes when you change out your old window treatments for floor to ceiling length ones. They make your room appear larger than it really is, and they also add a luxurious feel to the room at the same time.
via Southern Living
2) Invest in a Bedding Set: If there is one thing you should invest in for your bedroom, it would be your bedding set. Invest in high thread count sheets, a luxuriously soft comforter, and comfortable pillows. Add some oversized throw pillows on top of your bed and you have a five star hotel quality sanctuary.
3) Create a Focal Point with a Headboard: Every luxurious bedroom needs a focal point. One of the easiest ways to do this is with a headboard. Think deep wood tones or soft tufted fabric. Low on cash? Try being creative and creating your own headboard.
via Petra Bindel
4) Adjust the Lighting: Nothing takes luxury out of a bedroom faster than harsh, bright lighting. Try adding different layers of light. You can do this by adding extra lamps in your room with different watt bulbs. You can also install a dimmer switch in your bedroom for a relatively low cost as well.
5) Create a Cozy Seating Area: Even those with a smaller space should carve out a little nook for a seating area in their bedroom. Add a chair or two, and a nice soft throw blanket for a spot to drink your morning coffee, read a book, or just relax.
What ideas do you have for making your bedroom more luxurious?
I found a french provincial dresser on craigslist that I snagged up right away. I knew it would be the perfect piece for a sideboard in my dining room area. I’m such a sucker for anything curvy, so anything french provincial I love. I forgot to take the “before” picture of the piece, because I really couldn’t wait to get started. (more…)
Decorating a kids room is an adult’s chance to be whimsical again. You can throw out all the mainstream rules and just follow your imagination. Here are 10 DIY projects to consider when decorating your child’s room. (more…)